Wednesday, October 07, 2020

Re-shingling the garage roof - start

Sunday I started to work on re-shingling the garage roof.  Or I should say, the south half of the roof.  The north half - which has a different style of shingles - was re-shingled some years ago.  When?  I don't remember.  I think 15 or more years ago.  And those shingles are still good.

The half I am going to re-shingle now...  I fixed the roof twice when a tree branch fell in 2007, then later in 2015 when the tree fell on the roof.  In 2015 I did that repair because I planned on re-shingling the roof the next year, 2016.  Now, four years later I am finally getting to the job.  It is especially important to re-shingle as last Fall during all the rains I saw a spot inside the garage roof that was wet.

https://tallpinesranch.blogspot.com/2007/03/willow-crash.html

https://tallpinesranch.blogspot.com/2015/09/garage-roof-fix.html


First up is to remove the old shingles.  The shingles may not look really bad in the following photo, but trust me, they were bad.  Curled and cracked, etc.



It took 2 days to remove the shingles.  The north side shingles were curled over the top to form a  ridge. I wanted to keep those shingles and ridge so I had to take care to loosen those shingles and go slow so as to not tear them.  And the roof is so steep I had to take extra care so I wouldn't slip off the roof.  As you can see in the following photo, I used a rope to hold on to so I wouldn't start to slide off the roof.



As you can see, I found that there was old shingle roofing under the white shingles.  I decided to keep these green shingling on the roof.  I will place my new shingles on top of these green shingles.


Another issue is where the roof meets the façade. Or doesn't quite meet it.  That may have been fine when the previous white shingles were new, but when those shingles aged I had lots of leaks in this area.

To fix this problem I bought a little wider metal edging for roofs.  It appears the metal edging is just wide enough to cover these gaps between the roof and façade.



Now to start the re-shingling and get it done by Friday before the weather changes and rain comes.  And to be careful I don't fall off the roof.  Wearing a helmet to protect my head won't work if I fall off the roof.  If you don't hear from me in a few days then maybe I fell off the roof.

No comments: