Friday, October 09, 2020

One calf jailbreak

Late this morning I had a calf jailbreak.  I was putting away tools since I was done with my re-shingling work, and when I came out of the tool shed I heard mooing.  Huh?  I looked in the backyard, and in the yard outside of the corral gate, was standing the largest/oldest of the calves, Sugar's calf.  Huh?  How did you get here?!

The rest of the cattle were in the NW corner of the neighbor's field.  The calf was looking their way, mooing and wondering how to get back to the herd.  So I let him into the corral, then into the north pasture, then into the middle pasture.  The rest of the cattle saw us and came running to the south and middle pastures gate.  I got the calf to this gate, then through the gate without letting the rest of the cattle come through the gate.

I then counted the cattle to make sure everyone else was still there.  Yup.

How did the calf get into my backyard?  The neighbor said she saw the calf in her front yard.  She had called me to let me know.  I wasn't in my house to hear the phone.  The calf then walked down the road avoiding traffic to get home and to the barn.  Once he got to my driveway he walked in and then to the backyard and the corral.  It was very fortunate that he didn't go elsewhere.

I checked the neighbor's fence and saw one spot where the fencing was lower.  I imagine the calf somehow pushed the fencing down a bit and then somehow stepped or hopped over.  I tugged the fencing up higher.  I'll see tomorrow if the calf pulls this trick again.

No comments: