Friday, October 30, 2020

Cattle into the hayfield

This afternoon I let the cattle into the hayfield.  The past few days the temperature has been above freezing and much of the snow has melted.  And the cattle finished eating the latest large oat hay bale.  And I have had the cattle eating from a bloat block instead of a salt block the past 24 hours.

In the north pasture, Diamond in front and Speckles behind her.


Toby the bull eating next to Maria.

Somebody is a little fat.



The calves were last to come and enter the hayfield.   It wasn't long after they were born that I let them out into the pasture with their mothers.  As a result they have not been around me as much as the other cattle.  And they probably watched me load the other calves into the stock trailer and haul them away.   Therefore it seems the calves are more wary of me.

Diamond's calf. A steer.

Diamond's calf. A steer.

Maria's calf. A heifer.

Mama's calf. A steer.

A 32 second video of the cattle entering the hayfield: https://youtu.be/bQn1rWcWNsg

No comments: