Friday, July 12, 2019

Bicycle guests

Yesterday I stopped and talked to two long distance bicyclists who were taking a break a short distance down the road from my ranch.   They are riding the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route.  They are from Florida but for this trip they are riding from the route's start in Alberta, Canada with the goal of making it to Colorado.

Adventure Cycling's Great Divide Mountain Bike Route  (web site has a nice 5 minute video)

Wikipedia's Great Divide Mountain Bike Route

Great Divide Mountain Bike Route 2018 GDMBR (part 3) Montana  This video starts in southern Montana and travels north.

This website has a map: https://bikepacking.com/event/tour-divide-2019/

Eli and G (You know me and my bad remembering of people's names I've forgotten her unusual and interesting name) were planning to meet up in south Kalispell with a friend of Eli's who was hitchhiking from Missoula to Glacier Park.  As we talked Eli got a text that his friend's ride took him all the way to Columbia Falls, past where we were presently located.   With no fixed place to camp that night, I let them set up their tent and sleep on my front lawn.

We talked late into the night.  Eli and G are taking the ride casual and experiencing the sights and people and not making a race of it.  So they slept in during the morning.  Before they left they were interested in seeing my cattle so I took them out to the middle pasture where the herd was located.

Being curious many of the cattle came over to check them out.  First were some of the heifers, then the calves and then a few cows.  Eventually Toby the bull came over and sniffed Eli.  I got a few photos of Little Red, the heifer.  I neglected to take a photo of Toby as I was keeping an eye on him.  But as usual he was chill and behaved.


Many of the cattle were curious about Eli's sandals.  And, yes, Eli got to experience stepping in fresh manure.



They were heading to Bigfork and beyond so I made them a crude map for them to take less traveled backroads and avoid Hwy 2 and Hwy 35.

On the road a quarter after 1 pm

No comments: