Wednesday, December 05, 2018

New used gate

Today I bought a used gate advertised on Craigslist.

Photo from the Craigslist ad

The gate is a 16 foot gate which I have been watching for all year.  Gates, unless overpriced, sell pretty quick on Craigslist.  The ad was posted three days ago, but with no working pickup I had no means to get it.  The gate was still for sale today and I got it.   Maybe the time of the year was why it lasted so long on Craigslist.  While most people do not want or need a 16 foot gate, they still do sell quickly.  Especially as the price I paid was only $90.

This gate is similar to my main corral gate.  That is, oversized brown tubing with a spring latch.  Donna isn't happy with my current spring latch gate as the spring makes it hard to open the gate.  I even need two hands to open the gate.

The gate is old.  I don't know if HW still makes these 2 1/2 oversized tube gates anymore.

The owners were an old couple.  The gate was still attached to the large rotting post.  The lag bolts through the post were the biggest longest lag bolts I ever seen, and an usual style.  The bolts were in the post a long time and the threads were gummed with age.  WD-40 helped a lot.  The bottom bolt was still hard to turn.  Since the post was rotted and unstable, and they planned to eventually remove it, I pushed (and pushed!) and pushed it over.  That allowed me to more easily turn the bolt to unscrew it.

I have just the spot for the gate and next year will rebuild part of the back yard/hayfield fence and install this gate.


It was a pretty day, though colder than normal.  The owners lived out on Talley Lake road which was a drive across the Valley for me.  I took a few photos.  

The Whitefish ski resort opens tomorrow.  The ski resort is located on the dark part of the mountain that is dark because it was shaded by the clouds.









Following is the photo that shows the intersection where Talley Lake Road goes to the left.



The Tally Lake Road is a gravel road.  However no gravel could be seen as the road was completely covered with icy packed snow.  I had to change to four wheel drive to drive the road as it was so slippery I needed all four wheels to get traction to go uphill.  The slippery road also meant driving slow so as not to slide off the road.   I have no more photos of the road as my camera quit working.  The view of the trees and road - while slippery - was beautiful.

No comments: