Saturday, December 22, 2018

Broken bicycle

I have been riding lots of miles recently to have a new yearly total.  The plan hit a snag this afternoon when the skewer that holds the rear wheel on my bicycle broke.  I was over 8 miles from home and the sun was setting soon.

A few days ago I had tightened the skewer as my rear tire seemed a little off, and one side of the tire was closer to the bicycle frame than the other side. I had tried straightening the wheel but it kept moving over when I rode.  After tightening the skewer a few times I gave up.  I think the bicycle frame dropouts are off.   Well today the skewer broke as I was riding, while really put the wheel off alinement and caused me to stop.

Nothing to do but start walking home. Within minutes a guy in an older small Toyota pickup stopped and asked if I needed help.  He also was a bicycle rider and thought something was wrong when he saw me walking and pushing my bicycle on a flat section of ground.  He gave me a ride home.

Tomorrow I will see if I have another skewer in my spare parts collection.  I hope so as otherwise it may be hard to reach my yearly mileage goal in the few days left.

No comments: