Thursday, May 17, 2018

Calf photos

Here are some photos from yesterday.

 Mother - daughter





Yesterday was a good cattle day.  Today the cattle were a pain.  #40 who had gotten better and was not limping any more is again limping even though she is in the small temporary corral by the road.

Maria (cow #7) is still causing trouble.  Shortly after eating the hay tonight she went to work on the temporary corral panels.  I have placed chain link or field fence along all of the panels to prevent Maria from trying to go underneath the panels. Maria tests everything and is the fence if not wired enough she pushes the field fence down and puts her head under the panel to reach the grass on the other side.  Otherwise she pushes the fence up when she can and goes under the panels.  I caught her doing this tonight and she had lifted several panels up and pulled several metal t-posts out of the ground.  I chased her away.  I went to get more posts and a post pounder and when I returned I found her under the panels again in the same spot. *Insert* lots of yelling by me here. *End insert*.  Maria glared at me as I fixed the fence and added more posts and wire.  Maria is so fat she looks like she is pregnant even though she just had a calf last month and is nursing her calf.

When fixing the fence I found Maria's calf's ear tag laying on the ground under the fence.  Her calf is learning from her mother and must have snagged her ear tag on the fence when trying to get her head through to eat the grass.  Last year Maria's calf also lost her ear tag by snagging it on a fence over Summer.

No comments: