Sunday, May 06, 2018

Calf 12 - 80's

Finally!  Finally cow #80 had her calf.  This morning.  Last year cow #80 was two to three cycles late as she had her calf April 29.   This year she was three cycles late as she had her calf one year and one week later.

A heifer.   Can you believe it?  That makes 9 heifers and three steers.   Anyway, a beautiful calf.  (Buddy sure threw beautiful calves!).

Only Mama left to calve.



I put the calf's ear tag on this side of the gate so the worried mother wouldn't interfere.


A short time later I put the all black heifer into the loading corral.  This heifer is in heat and acting up.  The heifer was trying to mount this newborn calf who was still trying to get the hang of walking.  The heifer was obsessed with this calf.   I don't know.... these crazy females.  No access to a bull and some cows and heifers turn lesbian and this one turns pedophile.   I let the heifer cool off in the loading corral until evening.


At the end of the evening I had to rescue the bronco-faced heifer. Outside of the corral I have one section of board fence with a narrow space between fence boards.  This crazy heifer got her head stuck between the bottom two fence boards when she somehow got her head through in order to try to eat the little bit of grass on the other side.

I don't know how long she had been stuck as she wasn't moving or trying to get free.  I could only reach to fold one of her ears back and that wasn't enough to get the heifer's head back through the fence,.  Some of the lower top board had cracked and I broke a small piece off to make a slightly larger opening.  I was able to slide her head back and turn it while folding one ear back and got her free.  Of course when trying to free the heifer, when I tried to move her head forward she pulled back.  When I tried to move her head back she tried to go forward.  Hopefully this teaches her a lesson.  The heifer's mother is cow #7 (Maria) so I doubt she learned her lesson as this behavior apparently runs in the family. 

No comments: