Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Prepping for Thanksgiving storm

The weather forecast is saying we will have very strong winds tomorrow afternoon when a strong cold front passes us.  Winds 15 to 25 mph with gusts 50 to 60 mph.  And from the same direction as the previous strong windstorm that blew part of the loafing shed roof off.

Oh, great.  Not again.

While there are several thin wires over the patio roof to supposedly help hold down the sheets on the roof, today I added some heavy items to the top of the three metal sheets I had placed on the patio roof.



I also did more nailing on the loafing shed roof.  While I had earlier nailed enough to put the roof back together, I hadn't completed adding all the nails and extra little boards.  I did so today.

I am not sure if it was the light or me, but often I had had trouble hitting the nail on the head. One railroad tie post was so dense I had trouble completely hammering in the nails without them starting to bend.

I hope my repair work enables the loafing shed to retain its roof this time.

Thank you to all who shared some of their global warming with us so our temperatures could return to average to a little above average and melt much of the snow that fell earlier this month.  With the exposed grass I haven't had to put out hay for the cattle the past week.  I do put out one small hay bale at sundown for a treat for the cattle.  Well, now they expect it.  This afternoon as I nailed the loafing shed the cattle thought I was going to feed them early.  When I didn't they mooed and bellyached to me and it was annoying.

But the cattle can scrounge on grass.  The cat are all fat and don't need a large all-you-can-eat hay bale right now.  It is hard to ration their feed using a large bale.  Recently I saw this on Craigslist...



With this towable feeder I could limit the cattle to their recommended daily amount.  The problem: the owner is asking $4000 for this used item.  At that price I will pass.  And since my tractor doesn't have a grapple arm I would have to learn how to tip a bale off the spear and into the feeder.


This afternoon I found this gate back in my pasture. It looks like Curtis finished the welding job for me.  As you can see the bottom green rail is mostly rusted through.  I used an extra pipe I had gotten from my hayshed when I cleaned it out and had Curtis weld the pipe as a bottom rail.  The gate is a little heavier than a normal 12 foot gate but it also is strong.  And I plan on using a railroad tie for a post to hold the gate.



With the nicer weather I am also redoing the gate for the hayfield to the road.  I get a little done each day the past few days between the rain.  I now have all the posts for the gate in the ground so if the weather changes I can still finish the gate work this year.  I'm so happy we got some of our global warming back this year.

Happy Thanksgiving tomorrow everyone!

No comments: