Friday, November 24, 2017

Black Friday

The predicted windstorm for Thanksgiving Day did not happen.  Hurray!!!

Today I did a little Black Friday shopping for the cattle.  Usually Murdoch's Farm and Ranch store's Black Friday event is 15% off.  This year their sale was only 10% off.  So I didn't buy a new 16 foot green HW gate as I don't want to pay more than $150 for a gate, even if it is new.

I did stock up on salt blocks for the cattle to last the next year.   I also bought two Vitalix mineral tubs for the cattle.  I like to supplement the cattle's hay with a mineral lick at the end of their pregnancy.  This year I bought two tubs to length the time they can lick the minerals.  If I remember right a 250 lb tub will last them six weeks.  The sale price was $101 so the mineral tubs are not cheap.

The tubs are heavy.  It took three of us to safely lift the tubs into my pickup.  Two people can lift the tubs but when two of us lifted the first tub the other guy had trouble lifting the tub high enough and started to wobble until the other employee quickly came over to help us.

So I used my tractor to lift the tubs out of the pickup.  For now I will store the tubs in the barn until I use them later this Winter.




After the 8.3 inches of snow melted, the corral is muddy as you can see below.



Lately the turkeys have been hanging around the hayfield.  Other than on Thanksgiving Day when they disappeared.




The sun came out late this afternoon.



No comments: