Thursday, April 20, 2017

Socks and more

I didn't notice it until the calf was a day old, but Panda's calf's back legs have white at their bottom.  So I named the calf: Socks.



No more calves have been born. I expected that Sugar wouldn't give birth until May. It appears Beulah and cow #90 missed getting pregnant on their first cycle with Buddy.


Big Red, Buster, and I have settled into a routine.  I help Buster drink from Red twice a day: around 9 am and 9 pm.  Red still has an attitude problem.


Buddy is so big I have decided to sell him in August after he has bred all the cows.  He is so big, and getting bigger, that I imagine the cows will have a hard time standing when he mounts them.

A relative of Donna's called.  He has a bull he wants to sell.  The bull is a registered Red Angus two year old bull.  He is supposed to have a nice disposition.  I had to decline buying the bull.  The owner wanted $3500 for the bull and I can't pay that and expect to make money.  So the next time you complain about the price of a steak keep in mind what bulls sell for when their only purpose is to eat and have sex for about one month out of every year.


I still do not have my hayfield planted.  It has been too wet to plant.  The past seven days have been nicer than usual; while the temperatures continue to be colder than normal, we did have two sunny days this week.  Sunny days are unusual this Spring.

Here is the 10 day forecast.  Today we got more than the predicted .02 inches of rain as we got .25 inches so far.



So Saturday may be the day I get some outside work done.

No comments: