Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Buddy and temporary corral panels

I had a problem last night when I went out to the corral to have Buster drink.  Buddy was standing in the pathway between the south corral and the loading corral.  He pushed an end temporary corral panel to make an opening and got inside the pathway.  Then he pushed the panel shut.

I spent a long time carefully coaxing Buddy back into the main corral.  Once I got Buster and Big Red in the loading corral, Buster wasn't hungry.   I spent 50 minutes for nothing.

Early the next morning I again found Buddy in the pathway.  This time he hadn't 'closed' the corral panel.   But he wasn't interested in moving.  He just want to stand there and chew his cud.  After a bit I almost enticed him out but he changed his mind and backed in to the pathway.  He then rubbed his rear end against the south corral gate.  Fortunately this was the very heavy duty Powder River gate I installed last year.  I could see the gate straining but it held fast.

I gave up, took a shower and checked later.  By now Buddy was laying down in the pathway.

After noon Buddy came out to eat and I was able to close the panel.  This time I pounded a metal t-post in the ground to hold the panel in place.  Buddy is so strong he could bend that t-post if he really tried, but so far the post is holding the panel in place.

On the wrong side of the panels.


Buddy spent some time scratching against the metal slot that comes out where two panels can be pinned together.


Here is a 53 second video of Buddy scratching against the corral panel: https://youtu.be/kklmUDugmiE


No comments: