Sunday, April 16, 2017

Buddy into the corral

It has been three weeks since the first calf has been born.  A cow can go into heat three weeks after giving birth.  Or after maybe longer.  I didn't want to take a chance so it was time to separate Buddy from the cows.

Buddy made it easy.  Last evening, after we checked on the cows and calves, Buddy came walking to the corral once Donna and I returned there.  He was alone.  So I opened the corral gate and let him inside.

Normally I would put Buddy in the corral south of the barn, but that is where Big Red and Buster are located.  They are doing fine but Red is still not letting Buster drink if she is not penned in the loading ramp.  So I let Buddy stay in the main part of the corral.  He can access hay and water and I just have to keep an eye on him whenever I am in the corral.  This I need to do whenever I tempt Red with a bowl of grain.  Buddy is curious and probably can smell the grain, and he is always on the other side of the fence when I feed Red grain.

Otherwise it is nice for Red to have adult company nearby.  Before Buddy came Red often would stand at the end of the corral and look out at the other cows in the pasture.




Buddy is a big boy.

No comments: