Saturday, April 15, 2017

Calf 10

Today is three weeks and one day since the first calf was born.  It appears not all the calves will be born within a three week period this year.

Late this afternoon, after Donna and I fed the last of the medicine to Buster, we walked out to look for new calves.  I discovered that cow #120 gave birth sometime today.  An all black calf.   I didn't get close for two reasons.  First, I still do not want to spread scours to these calves.  Second, the calf is already fast.  The mother moved the calf away from me when I attempted to get kind of close to the calf.

I think the calf is a heifer.


Initially Donna and I checked on the cattle from the middle pasture.  Seeing Donna, Mama was on high alert and constantly watched us.  Well, mainly Donna.  Once I suspected there was a new calf, I walked around and crossed into the north pasture so I could count the calves laying beyond one of the feeders.

Mama giving Donna the evil eye.

"Let's get out of here before the rancher does something to you."

"Don't you ever give up?!   Leave my baby alone."

"Okay.  Let's go back this way."

No comments: