Saturday, April 22, 2017

Cattle visit

This morning I woke up at 6:30 am to mooing.  I thought it was Big Red mooing or perhaps a cow giving birth.

When I went outside I found a brown bull calf in the backyard and a black bull calf in the plowed hayfield.  Another black animal was in the hayfield outside the corral and Buddy was interested.  I then realized the brown bull calf, while a Corriente breed of cattle, was not Mama and the black bull calf was not my animal.  I thought the black animal near Buddy was a cow but after a second look I realized it was a bull.  The bull had his horns cut off.  The other two animals still had their horns.  Another clue they were not my animals.

They came from a fenced field a half mile down the road.  The owner lives elsewhere and I didn't know who that was.  The phone number listed in the phone book for the brand inspector was not a working number.  I called the sheriff's dispatch and reported the cattle.  They could track down the brand inspector.

The brand inspector never called.  The sheriff's office called back 90 minutes later to ask if the brand inspector called me.  By then the cattle left and headed south down the road back towards their 'home'.

In the afternoon I learned from my southern neighbor that he woke up to find the three cattle in his yard outside his house.  He and his wife put the cattle into their pasture with their horses.  They were able to find out who the owner was and called him.  The owner came and got them in the afternoon.

So it all ended well.



No comments: