Monday, February 23, 2015

Water heater on demand

I signed up for my local electric co-op's peak demand program for electric water heaters.  I get a $4 rebate each month if I allow the electric co-op to turn off power to my water heater during peak energy use times.

During peak demand times Flathead Electric must purchase additional power at a higher rate from their supplier. If Flathead Electric can spread their energy use out more evenly they can avoid going over their demand allocation and hitting Peak Time Events. When they can avoid going over demand allocation they avoid paying the higher cost for power which means lower rates for everyone.


http://www.flatheadelectric.com/energy/peak/rebate.html


This morning an electrician came out and installed the water heater load control unit.  He also upgraded the very old wire coming up from the floor to the water heater and also placed the new wire in the metal tubing partially seen in the photo.  He also added a switch so I don't need to flip the breaker to turn off power to the water heater.  All at no charge.

Saving money and saving energy - what a combination!


5 comments:

darrell charbonneau said...

Why is a middle aged republican letting the government control anything about hos life? Lol but for 4 whole bucks it don't make sensead the equipment and the mans time cost more than 5 years of "rebates".

Tall Pines said...

The electric company is a co-op, of which I am a member. No government involvement.

The equipment and electrician's costs are covered by the electric co-op. I don't have to do anything other than save energy and collect dollars. :)

Unknown said...

Saving money and energy does seem like an ideal combination. I think getting the $4 rebate will be a great way to save money consistently. I'm sure you won't even notice it if they do turn the heater off on your home. Thanks for sharing that! All the best! :)

Tommy Hopkins @ AccuTemp Cooling and Heating

Tall Pines said...

So far I have noticed nothing. I don't know if they have ever turned off the water heater, and if they have, I've not noticed any lack of hot water.

I am getting the $4 rebate on my bill now.

Carmelo said...

Glad that the guy came out to sort you out, looks like a clean install to me, enjoy all the nice hot water. My wife and I are getting a gas heater put in cause our heating costs were going through the roof, might just take it down a bit cause I know gas is cheaper in the long run.

Carmelo @ PRO Hot Water Service