Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Pruning, Manure and Buddy

Today I pruned my two apple trees in the front yard.  Not much to prune - just the new shoots/branches that grew since I pruned it last year.  Then I went over and pruned my neighbor's apple tree.  They never pruned this 'volunteer' tree and the tree was a bit of a mess.  They gave me all the apples from the tree for the cattle last year.  The tree was loaded with apples but they were all small.  Long thin branches bent under the weight of the apples.  The tree's height was also a problem in reaching some of the apples.  I brought the height down some and thinned the tree some to open it up.  A start in pruning as the tree was such a mess it will be a few years of pruning to get it into shape.


I shoveled more manure away from the cattle's feeder south of the barn.  Man! Those cattle produce lots of manure.  And it does smell strong.


I also started on removing manure from the loafing shed.  Once I started on the loafing shed I found it had lots more manure than I thought.

As I worked on the loafing shed Buddy stood and watched the calves and one cow while he chewed his cud.  Three of the calves are heifers which interest him.  This bull is certainly not gay.

Buddy and the calves


No comments: