Friday, February 27, 2015

Another bad leg

Last Saturday I let cow #40 back with the other cows now that her foot has healed.  Yesterday I discovered cow #20 was limping.  Something is wrong with her front left leg.     Cow #20 is the cow that had an abscess back in 2013.

I tried to divert her into the part of the corral with the calves when she limped into the corral to eat. But she was focused on getting to the feeder to eat with the other cows so I quit before she really screwed up her leg.

Today Dan stopped by to help me herd the cow.  The cattle were all locked in the corral and between the two of us we were able to quickly herd cow #20 into the part of the corral with the calves before the calves got out of that section of the corral.

We couldn't see anything wrong with her leg and foot.  The leg is not swollen and there doesn't appeared to be anything stuck between her hoof.  Mostly likely she stepped on a frozen cow pie or an uneven frozen piece of ground and injured her foot or leg.  I hope that is all it is as I don't want another large vet bill.

At least cow #20 will now have less walking to eat and drink and less jostling and hopefully will quickly heal.




This steer was unnerved by me squatting down to get these photos, and after checking me out, ran off.




No comments: