Thursday, April 25, 2013

Two minor jailbreaks

I was in the NE pasture when I suddenly heard one of the new steers bellow.  I looked and he had gotten his head stuck between the two gates between the NE pasture and the corral.

Ignore the chain - it was added later

His head was up to the bar and he was pushing and pulling the gates in an effort to get out. To stop him from breaking the gates I ran over to help.  To get out he needed to lower his head to the ground below the gates.  I pushed down lightly on his head and this did not work as planned.  He got more excited and before I knew it he pushed through the gate bending and popping the bar holding the gates together.

I was protected by the gate when it opened so the steer did not run me over.  Once he got through the gates and halfway to the hay shed he stopped confused at where he was.  I opened the gates completely and started to herd him back into the corral.  Momma came running over so I had to backtrack and herd her deeper into the corral before running back to the steer.  I was able to get him back into the corral and the gates shut before any more cattle escaped.

I bent the bar straighter and thought it was the end of this.

Then a few evenings later, while feeding hay to the cattle, I noticed one steer outside the gate and in the NE pasture.  The bar was still connecting the gates but it was bent and the steer squeezed through the opening between the gates.

It was fairly easy to herd him back into the corral as the rest of the cattle were busy eating.

I had to do something different so I got a small chain and wrapped it around the gates.


The other day I noticed the bar has been moved partway to one side.  However the chain kept the gates together and the cattle couldn't escape.

No comments: