Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Trying to stop backwards



I had to do something.  Since I first found the heifer standing in the hay feeder (see previous post, "Backwards"), I saw her climb in the feeder another time and found manure in the corner another time.  Monday morning I found manure in the corner and late Monday afternoon the heifer climbed into the feeder with her front legs.  When I entered the corral to chase her out of the feeder she completely climbed into the feeder before stepping out as I continued coming towards her.  She won't step out backwards.

I didn't want to block my access for filling hay so I came up with a removable blocking board.  To gain access all I have to do is lift the board up to remove it.



I went to help Bob back into his house after his dental appointment and then a short three mile bicycle ride.  When I returned I rode around the back yard to look for Daisy and saw the heifer was standing in the feeder once again.

What?!

  She put her head and neck under the board to eat and then moved up to raise the board up to step into the feeder.  And I had placed the board a little high to begin with.

Back to the drawing board...

The solution:  I lowered the board.  Then on each side I added a small board above the long board.  That way the board can't be raised by the heifer.  Now to add or remove the board I have to slide it in and out.  More of a pain, but something I had to do.

Here the board blocks out the faces of Momma and the problem heifer.  Just like in the crime photos so you don't recognize the guilty.


My fix where I added boards above.  With effort I can slide the board a bit, and pulling it to me, work it out sideways to remove it.



Tuesday morning... 

I had to go bake a batch of pumpkin muffins and bread so I put the board back up for now.



When I came back from baking pumpkin muffins and bread this is what I found.  The heifer is now challenging me... "you build it, I can break it."  I think I am going to call this heifer "Princess".  I'm going to have to ear tag the cattle someday so I can physically tell her apart from the other heifer.

A side note... this is also the heifer that now waits until I leave before she pushes Baby away from the feeder and takes her spot.  She used to try this when I was there but I scolded her.  Now she waits until I leave the corral and can't see the feeder.  Sometimes all it takes is for me is to walk around the corner or the barn.  Then I hear a commotion and when I come back she has taken Baby's spot.

Why is it that it is usually the female cattle that are the bossy bold problem cattle?


"Princess" shows me what she thinks of me and my camera and my efforts to stop her from getting into the feeder...


Yes, the raising of the tail means...



After cleaning the feeder, I took my "structure" apart and rebuilt it once again.  I lowered the board once more.


I have blocks all around the boards on each end.  So to remove the board I have to slide it completely out one end.


As you can see it was dark by the time I finished.  Baby was checking everything out and I had to keep an eye on her that she didn't take or break any tools, or sneak into the barn as the door was partially open (she tried).

With such small pieces of wood I split some, bent nails in other dry wood, and lost nails on the ground.  Oh yeah... hit my little finger with the hammer.  The finger bled and bled and bled.  Blood can be seen on wood in a previous photo.  When I got back in the house Tammy held her nose and said I smelled like "cattle".  My pants had blood and manure on them.

I just took some apple cores out to the corral for the cattle.  The cattle are chewing their cud in the loafing shed and my board is still up.  Maybe the third time is the charm.

No comments: