Saturday, February 09, 2013

Shoveling shit

I could have called this post "Moving manure" but after all the work and smell I did, I wanted the crude title.

Usually the coming of Spring brings wonderful earthy smells.   Not in the corral.  One smell overrides all other smells - and that is not a good smell.   In the evening when I come back in the house from feeding hay to the cattle Tammy says I smell like "cattle".  I have to wear my 'mud' boots now when I go into the corral when the ground is not frozen.

One area that get lots of manure is by the feeder.  Especially the back end where the cattle stand as they eat.  Hay comes in the front and out comes...

Here Momma and the bold heifer are pointing out work I have to do.


A long line of ....

I scraped and shoveled the sloppy smelly manure into a pile away from where they stand.  Another day I will haul it out of the corral and spread it in a pasture to fertilize it.


Here Momma and Baby are checking out my handiwork.


It smells worse than it looks.

No comments: