Thursday, February 14, 2013

Loading corral gate fun

When I was fixing the hay feeder on Wednesday one heifer and Baby were at one of the loading corral gates and figured out how to open it.

If it's not one thing it's another.

Here is how the latch works on my homemade gate.   I had added a wire to hold the latch as cattle in the past pushed on the latch and opened the gate.  These cattle got the wire off then moved the latch to open the gate.

When "kids" have too much free time on their hands they get into trouble.


As soon as the heifer and Baby got the gate open Momma noticed right away and went over there.  That is how I found out as Momma was watching me work at the feeder then suddenly lost interest and went over there.


There is no harm in letting the cattle in the loading corral runway other than I had added some dirt near the header gate to make the incline more gradual.  I don't want the cattle walking on the wet dirt and messing it up until it dries and grass starts to grow on it.

I closed the gate when the cattle came out to eat the hay I added to the feeder after I finished my work on it.

No comments: