Monday, December 12, 2011

Zero horses

The last two horses left Sunday.  They were way out in the south pasture but came when they saw their owners' horse trailer and heard them call.  Loading these horses was much easier than loading the first two horses.

So the ranch feels empty once again.

With the horses gone I rolled up and put away for the Winter the hoses I had used to fill the water trough.  Definitely on the 'to-do' list next year is to get a pump for the well by the water trough.

I put the salt blocks into the barn for Winter. As I now no longer need to get into the barn until Spring I laid some boards and fabric inside the large door to prevent/reduce the amount of snow that could get blown into the barn by the mean ol' north wind.  In the past I've had some hay ruined when snow blew in then melted on the hay.  The wind doesn't blow much here, but in the Winter, on occasion, cold air will spill over the mountain passes from the east and will roar down into the Valley.

I'm still working on clearing a spot for Tammy's van in the pole shed.  I'm still splitting more logs for firewood.  I finished clearing the logs off two pallets. I am down to one towering 6 ft pile of logs on one pallet.  I do have enough logs split to last the Winter.  I think.  Tammy likes the house warmer than I usually have it.

No comments: