Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Cleaning ash

The weather was nice today so I decided to clean the ash from my wood stove's pipe.  It has been a couple of months since the wood stove burning season started. The section of pipe that is closer to horizontal collects ash more than the other sections or the chimney.



Here is how much ash collects in the horizontal section of the pipe.


The loose stuff shakes out.  I have to use a wire brush to get it all out. This job is one that is done before a person takes a shower that day.

3 comments:

TheNewOil said...

Hi - My name is Tony McGinley from Ireland. I write a non-commercial hobby blog on sustainable energy and came on your very interesting piece about the stove and the chimney blocking.

I was wondering if I could use the photos and some of your report in my blog?

This is my blog:

http://wood-pellet-ireland.blogspot.com/

My email is:

thenewoil at gmail dot com

Thanks and greetings from the Emerald Island,

Tony McGinley

Tall Pines said...

Tony,

No problem. You can use the photos and words in your blog.

TheNewOil said...

Thanks so much for allowing me to use your photos etc. The amount of soot and cresite in that flue is amazing. It does also present some danger apart from a blockage - which could lead to carbon monoxide poisoning. A family recently died in ireland as a result.

This sort of build-up has also been known to ignite. if it did catch fire, it can go like a rocket and cause a danger of fire, or simply damage the flue etc.

Might be a good idea to clean the flue more often to prevent any possible accidents happening.

Thanks again,
Tony.