Thursday, July 21, 2011

Spraying weeds

The past week or so I have been spraying weeds in my north pasture.  It is slow going with only a backpack sprayer.

The area of knapweed that I had cut last year really needed spraying as it came back thick this year as seen in the below photo.  Spraying is the best way to get rid of knapweed.  Similarly thick areas I had sprayed in other years are 95% gone this year.



The warm and dry weather earlier this week dried things out.  That is why it takes longer for the herbicide to affect the weeds, and why the grass is affected. The herbicide is for broad-leaf weeds.  Normally it doesn't affect the grass but when the grass is stressed by hot and dry weather the herbicide will cause it to yellow and brown, though it doesn't kill it.



Here is some Yarrow weeds that I sprayed.  Notice how the Yarrow is curling down now.

No comments: