Friday, July 22, 2011

Loading corral's east side

This is old news now as I finished the work on July 1, but here are the photos of the east side of the loading corral.

After I moved the head gate I rebuilt the east side fence.


I strung a rope to ensure I would have a straight line.



Even in an area should have had no trees since the 1940s, I came across a small tree root when digging the hole for a railroad tie.



Here is the old fence taken from inside the loading corral.  I already started taking the fence down when I thought of taking this photo.  I had already removed the orange baling twine wrapped around the top of the fence.  The middle post is only being held up by the fence boards as the post had rotted at ground level.  The right photo shows the new fence and gate.



Before and after photos taken outside the loading corral.  This view also shows how far back I moved the head gate and east side fence.



Looks like my rope trick worked: the fence line looks pretty straight.



Next step after the fence rebuild, moving the railroad ties.  Some of the railroad ties I had gotten at auctions were not in the greatest of condition.  I had used them as the bottom of the pile, which did them no good.  I put the new pile of ties on old posts to keep them off the ground.



The fillies checking out the new fence and new location of the railroad ties. 



Before and after from outside the loading corral.



View of the fence, gate and loading corral.  The gate is 12 ft.  The fence is a little over 17 ft. with the two fence sections at 9.5 ft and 8 ft long.  The last work item is to rebuild the loading ramp fence inside the loading corral.  I plan to do that later this year.

No comments: