Monday, July 25, 2011

Hereford and the patio fence

Sunday afternoon I caught one of Dan's cattle breaking the patio fence.  You know the part I am talking about: the section of fence the cattle keep abusing.


Now that I wrapped the part upper and lower boards with barb wire he couldn't pull this section of fence down.  Instead he broke part of the fence. Notice he pulled out a small roll of chicken wire and he was trying to get more stuff out from the patio when I caught him.

He wasn't at all guilty about what he was doing so I had to shoo him away and re-fix the fence.  I moved a section of hard wire to this spot so it should prevent more mischief.  At least until they come up with something new.

This afternoon when riding my bicycle back from Bob and Jan's house I found one of Jamie's Corriente cattle along his fence.  My herd was along my fence right across the road.  All the cattle were looking across the road at the other. One of my cattle had its head through my fence to eat the grass in the ditch even though there was plenty of good grass in their field. I had to give a talk to my cattle about ignoring that Corriente steer, staying in their field and not to get into trouble and lose their privilege of being in the hayfield.  They listened to me and behaved.

Back to the Hereford steer in the photo.  Dan told me he is the son of the heifer that three years ago crossed the river to 'elope' with the neighbor's Hereford bull. (That story can be found here: Females do crazy things when in lust).  Even though she was a "teenager" and too young to be bred, she safely had this calf and went on to be a fine mother.  After sowing her wild oats she settled down to be a well behaved cow.  Her son seems to have taken after his mother and gets into trouble.

No comments: