Friday, January 21, 2011

Tavern trivia, week 3

Wednesday night was another trivia night.  I again played on Darrel and Marvin's team (SOL) to even things out for team members.  Rod, Al, Mark and Randy made up the Funkymonks team.

This week our team got the bonus question correct so we did not start 20 points behind.

We started off strong in the first round with nine out ten answers correct and we were tied for first place.  For the question as to which of four animals had the best sense of smell I knew that bears had the best smell, even over dogs.

The second round was not so good as we only got five answers correct.  We were no longer tied in first place.

The third round was to match 10 drugs to their use.   I'm talking about prescription drugs now...  I knew a couple of drugs from caring for my mom and dad, and who doesn't know from the ads what Clariton and Levitra are for?  We got a respectable six answers correct.  And for the incorrect answer the uses were so similar no wonder we got then confused.  For example, one use was for "combats depression" (Elavil) and another use was "gives you a peaceful feeling" (Paxil).   We got these wrong as we had switched them.

Still six out of ten was not bad as the Funkymonks team has Randy on it and he works as an EMT.  They got eight out of ten correct.

At the end of round three we had 220 points, 40 points behind the leading team.

For round four we felt good about our answers and between Darrel and I, and Marvin flipping a coin, we decided to double down.  A mistake that cost us the game.  We only got six answers correct. In the late 1800s there were 10,000 pigs in New York City, not rats as we had thought.  If we had thought about it more we would have realized that 10,000 was too low of a number for rats.  Our doubling down had us now in first place, but not every team doubled down.

Round five was great for us as we got nine answers correct, the best showing of all teams.  All but one of the other teams had doubled down by now.  Even so we were just ten points behind the Funkymonks team who were now in the lead.  Man!  Round five was the round we should have doubled down!

Round five had lots of easy questions:
  • Which drummer from the rock band Genesis became a successfully solo artist?
  • Which non-flying bird lays the largest egg?
  • Name the tire company who has a blimp?
  • Who sang the James Bond song, "Live and Let Die"?
  • What is the name of the sexual position where the man and woman face each other?   Boring! - which was shouted out - was not the correct answer.
Marvin knew six was the number of fouls before a player was ejected from an NBA game.

Finally the answer came to me for: name the book and movie series where the lead characters are: Lucy, Edmund, Susan and Peter?   The Chronicle of Narnia.

Darrel and I put together the answer to "What does the internet phrase ROTFLMBO mean?"  I knew the first part "Rolling On The Floor Laughing" and Darrel knew "My Butt Off".

The best I could do for "What Shakespearean comedy is about a case of mistaken identity?" was to guess "The Taming of the Shrew".  The correct answer was "Twelfth Night".

The last round was "Name 10 of the 17 movies Heath Ledger was in between 1997 and 2009".  Oh my.

Darrel and I came up with the two easy answers: The Dark Knight and Brokeback Mountain.  I came up with The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus.  Then a struggle to name more movies.  I then came up with The Patriot.   I knew Heath had been in the movie Casanova but couldn't remember the movie title other than it was a person's name.  Neither Darrel or Marvin saw the movie so they had to guess who I was talking about when I described the historical person I was talking about.  After some head scratching and a few wrong guesses, they named Cassanova.  Bingo!  Darrel and I both had seen 10 Things I Hate About You and remembered the story, but we couldn't remember the correct title. She's All That was not correct.  I also knew the movie story where Ledger was fighting battles as a knight.  The best I could do was guess Dragonslayer.  Wrong.  The movie was A Knight's Tale.  Once the answers were revealed I kicked myself for forgetting about The Brothers Grimm.

So all we got right were five.  But Funkymonks only got four right so that meant we were tied for first place at 480 total points.  However the host went over all the rounds' scores again and found he had under-counted an earlier round by Funkymonks by ten points and therefore they won the game with 490 points.  *augh!!*    So close!

Btw... round five answers were: Phil Collins, Ostrich, Goodyear, Paul McCartney and Wings, and Missionary.

No comments: