Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Monday trivia

Monday night I attended another trivia contest.  This contest was at my old stomping grounds: The Landing Bar.

At the trivia contest last Wednesday I learned that the people on my old team no longer regularly came to The Landing for trivia.  But since I was in town Darrel, Marvin and Rod said they would come on Monday.  Darrel came but Marvin and Rod never showed up.  Rod's job is delivering out of town packages, and with the snow that day, he must have had to work late.

Ed is still the host of the contest and he brought Al with him.  So my old SOL team was Darrel, Al, and I.  Mona was going back to work on nights and was sleeping in to prepare. Jeff and Donna haven't been coming to trivia for some time now.

Even though I had seen a TV advertisement the day before for the Landing Bar and their schedule (including trivia night), a number of other trivia regulars weren't there and the crowd was less than I am used to.  We only had four teams competing.   Several old teams had merged.  Only the judge was here from the lawyer team and he sat with the team of women and their team name was "Something" women and the judge.  I forget what  the "something" was.

Mark, the biker dude from my Wednesday trivia team, was here and he was on the "Minds over Minot" team.  I learned that the other guy originally from Hawaii who had been on that team moved to Bismarck.  He was very good at trivia.  His absence didn't matter as the "Minds over Minot" team scored highest in both contests.

My team didn't do well.  In the first contest we got 12 right out of 20 questions for last place.  In the second contest we got 13 right and again were in last place by one.  We gave it a good try but were very rusty.  We couldn't even figure out the answer to the question, "What food processing company is named after the first three letters of each of two adjoining states?"   The answer is at the bottom.

I hung around and chatted with the other contestants after the contest was over.  Karaoke started at 9 pm and more people came into the bar for karaoke and the participants seemed to be decent singers.

In the cold night air I had walked to the bar and found with all the snow here that a number of homeowners hadn't cleared their sidewalks of snow.  I had to cross the street a few times to find clear sidewalks.  A few times I walked on the street itself.  Darrel dropped me off on his way home so that solved the problem of walking home.  I could have used the walk and fresh air in order to get some of the cigarette smoke off my clothes.  I swept the freshly fallen snow of the driveway but that wasn't enough to air out my coat.

The answer is: Oreida for Oregon and Idaho.

No comments: