Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Mountain lion and horses

My suspicion was correct. The horses killed a few weeks ago by the mountain lion were my neighbor's horses and not the horses a mile or so down the road. My neighbor's pasture borders my north pasture and that was where the horses were when they were killed. It is too bad as my neighbors got the miniature horses this past summer as Debbie always wanted to own some.

Because the Fish and Wildlife people were unable to track the mountain lion, the neighbor's left the dead horses and the mountain lion came back the next night. The Fish and Wildlife people and their hounds treed the lion and then they shot it. As my neighbor only has three trees in their pasture and those trees are right on my fence line where my trees are located, I wonder if they shot the lion in my pasture? I haven't talked with Jim or Debbie yet to get all the details. Rumors are that there may be a couple more mountain lions moving along the river corridor. I guess I should be careful when out after dark.

You can see how small the horses were. The heifer is not a full grown cow yet and I think only weighed about 700 lbs. The owners had slaughtered the heifer for beef in September and only the horses were left in the corral.

No comments: