Saturday, November 15, 2008

Delightful Friday

What a beautiful day! Usually it seems that when the clouds leave overnight they return after sunrise the next morning. Not today! I woke up to clear skies and they stayed completely clear all day until sunset when they moved in from the NW.

With clear skies overnight we had a cold temperature as it got down to 19 F at my place. The grass was white with a heavy frost and the ground was hard.

I spent the morning inside waiting for the temperature to get above freezing. Joyce was attending her brother-in-law's funeral so my primary hiking group didn't go hiking. It was a shame as it was a beautiful day for a hike. Oh well, I am going hiking with Patti tomorrow. How can I go a week without hiking?!

Surprisingly I was in the mood to clean and dust inside the house. Maybe it was because my mood was better with the sunshine or maybe it was because I could see all the dust in the sunlight, or both. I hadn't dusted since Spring and everything was coated in a heavy layer of dust. It took a long time but I washed all the living room furniture, tvs, a table, lamps, etc. This included the chair, couch and loveseat as they are all leather. I have a large wood console stereo system with a design facade which was a pain to clean. You know, I don't worry about thieves as who would want to steal a console TV and a console stereo? Who even uses record players anymore?

I still have more tables and chairs to dust and my knickknack shelf. But it was now after noon and above freezing. When I was outside beating the dust out of a couch blanket covering I realized how nice it was outside. Time to switch gears.

I did some work in the pasture. I found that yesterday's strong wind stripped off all the rest of the yellow tamarack needles. At least I got to see them a few days after getting back to Montana.

Here are how they looked when I first got back a few weeks ago.


I checked on my gopher traps. I caught two more pocket gophers. I'm up to 111 for the year. I also moved another trap as after a few days there was no activity. For the east half of the field I am past where I left off in September but not quite to where I was in August. The west half still has not reached where I was in September. I guess it is all moot as I am nowhere near the area I had cleared last year at this time.

Kelly has been by most every day this week hunting deer. The deer sightings this week have been up and down. Tonight he saw a 5 point buck interested in a doe but it was a little too dark and the buck was a little too far away for him to confidently take a shot. It is getting into full rut now so the bucks are not thinking as clearly and cautiously. Funny how females do that to the males.

I cut the rotted ends off some of the posts I had replaced in my loading corral last August, then split some more logs for firewood. I finally finished the logs I had from when my uncles and aunts visited me in 2007. I have now started on the larger stack of logs I cut and stacked last Fall. Hopefully I can get through these logs sooner than later though I expect I won't finish them until next year (another 2 years 2007 - 2009) *sigh*

As I mentioned earlier the clouds moved in around sunset. Here is Friday's sunset. Not as pretty as the previous night's sunset, is it? I barely caught the sunset as a lot of the pink quickly disappeared by the time I got my camera.

By the way, see the "skeleton" tree? That is the same (tamarack - or western larch) tree that was bright yellow in the earlier two photos. Fall in Montana is usually a fantastic sight when the tamaracks turn bright yellow.

No comments: