Saturday, November 08, 2008

Back in Montana

I am back in Montana. I got back last week in time to serve as an election judge for the presidential election on Tuesday. Lots of voters as Flathead County apparently had 77% participation.

I also went on a hike which felt great after so long away from "my" mountains. This being November, even though we hiked well below the mountain passes, we still ended up hiking in lots of snow. The views of the snow covered mountains and iced over lake were great.

Jan was out of state and Bob dislocated his artificial hip last Monday so I've been over to help him with the mail, newspaper and meals. I got Jan from the train station early this morning so she is now back to help him. Kelly has started hunting deer and yesterday while in his tree stand watched a few bucks right underneath him playfully spar after they crossed the river. The deer are currently in a pre-rut state.

A mountain lion killed two small horses or ponies in a corral down the road a few weeks ago. I am not sure if it was the horses a mile down the road or my neighbor's horses as I haven't had a chance to get out in my pasture to see if my neighbor's horses are still around. Fish and Game officials killed the mountain lion when it returned to the horse carcasses the next night as they were unable to track the lion earlier using hounds. Since Kelly has seen deer in my pasture I imagine no more mountain lions are around right now.

This past week has been wet and I am trying to get back into a routine. With all that is going on and the rain I haven't gotten out to set gopher traps.

I've gotten used to the smell of wood smoke and don't notice it much anymore. I noticed it immediately after getting off the train. The house smelled strongly of it even though I had cleaned the wood stove and chimney this past Summer and have not used the stove since. When I arrived the house was cold at 50 F and that may have enhanced the smoke smell as I don't notice the smokey smell now that I am using the wood stove to heat the house.

I'll try to write more later.

No comments: