Sunday, March 30, 2008

Washing machine

When I am not helping mom recover I am fixing stuff around her house. Her washing machine is the latest item to break. It has started to leak.

Mom's washing machine is a Frigidaire, model WC-6B. This is an old model as mom got it in the early 1980s. It is so old that parts are pretty much unavailable. Mom has a service contract for appliance repairs and they couldn't fix the washing machine and could not find parts for it. My internet search only came up with replacement timer for this model.

The agitator in this model moves up and down and not side to side like most models. This is great for getting the laundry clean but the service company's repairmen had never seen a model like this and had no idea how to fix it. I imagine it didn't help when the washing machine was as old or older than he was. I found another (old) repairman in town and he knew of agitators like this but hadn't seen or worked on one in years - and had no interest in doing so.

So, a new washing machine is needed.

Now the washing machine went bad a little while ago. Until I got mom home and things settled I continued to use the leaky washing machine. All I needed to do is have a bucket underneath to catch the water that leaked. Not pretty, but it worked. My brother was unhappy with this arrangement so I washed the clothes until I could check out what was being sold in town and research different machines on the internet.


Reading about washing machines I found that the government had mandated an increase in energy efficiency starting January 2007. Apparently how all the companies met the increase was by using less water and not using as much hot water, even when the setting was for hot. Not a good way to do this. *Apparently* the 2008 models have been modified, else more people are using cold water detergents as it seems the complaints on the internet about this have been less for 2008 models.

I settled on another top load machine and didn't go for a front load model. I weighed the extra cost for a front load model versus the amount of laundry that would be washed.

I also decided on either a Whirlpool machine or a Sears Kenmore machine. If all were equal I would have bought the Whirlpool but the Sears Kenmore went on sale first and at a lower price.

The Sears sale with the sale price and 12% rebate ended Friday so my brother and I bought the new washing machine late Friday afternoon. Snow flurries were falling so the bottom of the box was wet by the time we got it home.

We moved the old washing machine and the dryer in order to install the new washing machine. However once we got the box off the machine we discovered on the machine a large dent halfway down in the left side back corner. *sigh* The cardboard box was fine so someone must have boxed it up like that. Maybe the machine could have been dented without harming the box but I don't know how.

We boxed the machine back up, carried it back up the stairs, and hauled it across town back to Sears. The shipping and receiving guys took the machine back without any problems. They gave me a receipt to take back to the appliance department. The salesman who sold us the machine handled the return though he didn't seen happy about it.

When I bought the machine the salesman really pushed me to buy the Sears service agreement and I refused. He told me that I could cancel the policy within 12 months and get a full refund and that I should buy the agreement in order to get a free service checkup at 11 months and after that cancel the agreement. When I turned the 5 year service plan down he tried to sell me a 3 year plan. No again.

I shouldn't be surprised by his pushiness as even though I had my sights on a model 500 he earlier pushed me to buy the 600 model for $100 more. For the extra $100 I would be able to wash 17 towels instead of 16, and I would get four water level settings and not three.

Anyway... he processed my return through what appeared to be gritted teeth. Then I found out the dented machine was their last machine in stock and they now had to order another one for me. It is suppose to arrive late Tuesday. Here is hoping I don't have to wash clothes before then.

All this capped a day that had not been going well.

No comments: