Sunday, March 02, 2008

Science fiction, then and now

I grew up reading science fiction stories and watching science fiction and fantasy movies. Once I graduated from college and went off to work I can't remember reading any more science fiction stories. On the other hand as science fiction has moved more and more into mainstream Hollywood movies I have watched plenty of science fiction movies since then.

Last night I finished watching "Tin Man", a six hour TV mini-series that is a contemporary retelling of the "Wizard of OZ" story. "Tin Man" is a strong blend of science fiction and fantasy that has only a few elements from the original movie. Since the mini-series is six hours long there was more to the story than what was shown in the old movie. Apparently the book's author wrote sequels; and I remember reading some graphic novels that may have been based on those novels. I think elements from those novels made their way into the mini-series as some elements, not from the movie, seem familiar. There was no singing in this mini-series.


As you can see Dorthy, or DG as she is called here, isn't dressed in a dress. This Dorthy is not that feminine. This is a reflection how society has changed between 1939 and now. Other than her long hair, with her clothes and huskier voice, this Dorthy seems more masculine.

I've noticed in TV science fiction movies and shows a number of the scenes are out in nature. This is probably because these shows don't have a huge budget for special effects. But it may also be a conscious attempt to balance the sterile futuristic images. In "Tin Man" there are a number of scenes that take place in forests. As I watched these scenes I liked them. I started thinking, outside of science fiction and fantasy movies, I seldom see extended movie scenes in forests with tall trees. Seems kind of odd, doesn't it? Here I am watching a science fiction movie and the forest scenes are reminding me of my hiking trips. I sit there thinking, "I'd like to hike there" as I watch the movie and forget about the science fiction/fantasy part of the movie.

Another thing I notice now about science fiction is my attitude to it has changed from my younger days. I think that is partly because science fiction has changed over the years, and partly because I have changed.

Science fiction has changed. It has always changed over the years. I remember that I could roughly tell the decade when a science fiction story was written due to its style and subject matter as both changed drastically over time, at least up until the 1980s when I fell away from reading science fiction stories. Still, while the style of science fiction has changed, the underpinning of science fiction being an imagining of the future and of fantastic things does not change.

So my thoughts about and attraction to science fiction shouldn't have changed. But it has. I watch science fiction today and it is now with a detached interest instead of with a 'fanboy' enthusiasm and obsession. I suppose that is good as a 'fanboy' enthusiasm can be labeled 'geek' or 'nerd', and one has to grow up sometime. But, you know, enthusiasm is a good thing. And when I remember my enthusiasm for science fiction and now recognize its absence, I feel as if I lost something.

It is all part of growing and moving through life. A person evolves and their interests change over time. I have passions today, hiking especially. But that is a physical and spiritual enthusiasm, not an intellectual one. I wonder if I have lost my ability to dream and wonder. That ability allows one to think differently and 'outside the box' (to use a cliche). It also enables a person to embrace the future.

No comments: