Saturday, March 29, 2008

Obesity in America

Here are a couple of illustrations I came across showing state-by-state and county-by-county how overweight people are in America.

For Montana the two maps seem not to be in sync with one another. I don't know for what year the data was used for the county-by-county map, but if they are same years as the state-by-state map then I believe the difference between the state data and county data may be because the counties in Montana with a higher obesity rate are less populous counties. Flathead County looks to be in the 19.1 - 20% obese rate. As a whole Montana comes out pretty good compared to most other U.S. states.

Over the past year my BMI has ranged from a little over 22.1 this past summer (when I was hiking a lot) to 23.7 right now with my winter fat. All in the normal range. In fact, never in my life has my BMI been in the overweight stage.

--

No comments: