Sunday, March 10, 2019

Two hay bales, etc.

This morning I put out two large hay bales for the cattle.  One bale was in the NE pasture for the cows and bull and the other bale was in the south corral for the calves.  Since the cows and bull had eaten the NE bale I was able to move that metal feeder for the calves to use in the south corral as that has been the feeder for that corral.  So it was a game of musical chairs as I had to do this while working around the cows and calves and not letting them mix or be where I was working with the hay bales or feeders.

According to the breeding charts, today is the first day the cows are due to give birth.  Beulah was first bred and was due today.  As of this post she has not given birth.  She looks close but not imminent.

Our high temperature today was 31 degrees but the sun made it seem warmer.  I shoveled the snow out of the loading ramp corral in case I need to put a cow in there.

Joyce called about iodine use on a calf's navel after birth.   In all these years they never sprayed iodine on the navel and a few days ago one of their newborns calves got sick and the vet said it was from a navel infection.

The following photo shows where the cattle got to a tree.  I propped the two wire sections back against the tree for the photo as the cattle has taken them apart and down and then broke or ate the tree branches they could reach.   In the morning I caught the bull working on another tree and its wire fencing in order to reach that tree's branches.



The geese are back.  The past few days they spent parts of the day out here near the hay bale where there is bare ground.


The geese made a ruckus and flew away when I came out to check on the cattle.


Sugar now has more of her afterbirth hanging out back.  Beulah is to the right of her.

When I first let the cows and bull out to the hay bale the bullies pushed Speckles away.  Here I got some leftover hay from the hay barn and gave it to her here.  Behind you can see where I put some wood pallets to prevent the bull from breaking the wire fencing and getting to that evergreen tree.



A casualty from when I scraped snow out of the main corral.

The hay bale for the calves in the south corral.

No comments: