Saturday, March 16, 2019

Tractor window fix

This afternoon I installed the new window in the tractor cab.  It was more of a problem than I expected.  The window is held in place in three areas (holes).  Two of the areas I was able to easily unscrew with a screwdriver and a wrench.



The third area, which is also the lever that opens and closes the window, was another matter.  I could not find how to detach the two pieces that go on each side of the glass.


I called the John Deere dealer to ask the maintenance person how to take the lever apart.  I had to leave a message.  By the time he called me back (at 6:07 pm) I had figured it out. After fiddling around with it for a while I then decided to take the lever off the tractor cab, then try to take the black piece off the lever.

The cotter pin bolt seen below has a very small "c" ring to lock it in place.  The "c" ring was on top of the pin so that when I struggled to take it off it came off suddenly and both pieces fell to the ground.  I could hear the pin bounce off boards next to the tractor on its way down to the ground.  I had to get a magnet.  Surprisingly I found the "c" ring, which I was afraid I would never find.  I couldn't find the pin.  I had to drive the tractor out of the pole shed.  Still couldn't find the pin.  I had to move / clear quite a number of boards before I finally found the pin.  It took a long time.  When I reinstalled the lever I put the pin in from the top and then added the "c" ring at the bottom.


But I needed to get the black plastic piece off the lever as the glass went in the large groove in the black plastic.  I worked and worked on it and couldn't figure it out.  The black plastic turned but wouldn't unscrew from the lever.

How to get it apart:  The small groove in the black plastic is not decorative. The very end is a cap.  Under the cap is a locking nut.  However I couldn't unscrew the nut as it turned.   The end of the beige plastic has a plastic pin. Push the pin out and the swivel end comes off and then apart.  Under the two pieces that make up the swivel is another nut.  Holding that nut I then could unscrew the end nut and take the black plastic piece off.   Easy when one knows how it all works.


My neighbor Curtis helped me install the window as it is too awkward to manage with one person and easy with two people.

New window installed after spending $373 on it.

No comments: