Wednesday, March 06, 2019

Clearing snow and tractor cab

I stand corrected.  I read today that this past February was the snowiest on record in Kalispell at 33.2 inches.

Match 10 is coming up for the predicted calf birthing start.  While today saw a high temperature of 34 degrees, not much melting was happening and we have a lot of snow.  I have started to scrape snow with my tractor to clear areas.  I have cleared the main corral and yesterday and today I cleared the south corral.





My last run south of the barn and I made an error. I drove too close to the feeder and a board on the roof rubbed against my tractor glass window and shattered it before I knew what was happening.  The right side window behind the door shattered.  Glass everywhere!  I had glass in the tractor cab, in the hay feeder, in the snow, and in the manure.  It took me two hours to pick up - my estimate - 99% of the glass.  I had to go through the hay four times to find all the glass.  And every time I took a step I found more glass on the ground.

It was just a disaster.  I was so mad I am glad I am on blood pressure medicine or I would have blown my top and had a stroke.  The calves running around the tractor before and after the glass shattered did not help.  I put the shattered glass in a plastic 5 gallon pail and some calves were determined to look in the pail.  Lots of yelling by me.



Tomorrow I will have to call the John Deere dealer and order a new window.  I have more snow scraping elsewhere.

No comments: