Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Calf 2 - Beulah's

Tuesday afternoon the second baby calf was born.  Since Monday night Beulah stayed in the loafing shed away from most of the other cattle.  I had a dental cleaning at 1 pm and when I got home (after also picking up my new tractor window [$372]) at 2:45 pm I found the calf standing next to Beulah and Beulah eating some of her afterbirth.

Later in the afternoon I saw the calf drink from Beulah, and after 7 pm, even though I brought out some hay in the corral feeder for Beulah, she took her calf from the loafing shed out to the NE pasture to be with the other cattle.  They ended up by the gate near the garage, and not at the hay feeder.  Toby, the dad, came over to check out his new son.  A few of the 'aunties' came over to check out the new baby. I wish Beulah had stayed in the loafing shed with her calf.  After she went to the NE pasture it started to snow lightly.  I want the calf to stay dry.


Look at the 'ring' around his eyes.  Yup, he is Beulah's calf.


"I'm coming Mama."

The calf spent the night outside.  Initially Beulah and the calf stayed near the gate by the garage.  By the time I went to bed they were at the gate between the NE pasture and the north pasture.  That is where I found them the next morning.  We had several inches of snow overnight.   But the calf appears to be doing well.

Wednesday morning Donna came over to help me band (castrate) the bull calf and put a tag in its ear.




Toby and his son

Family portrait: Toby, his son, and Beulah - the calf's mother.


No comments: