Monday, April 01, 2024

2024: Calf 8 - 20's

Sunday morning I found I had a new calf.  Initially I didn't see the calf and the mother.  I walked to the west end where the hay bale and cattle were laying.  I counted and recounted and I came up with one cow short.  I walked all around the west part of the pasture.  No cow.  Then I looked back toward the corral.  I think I see a cow.  I walked back, and yes, the last cow was laying near the corral fence and the hayfield fence.  When I initially had walked out of the corral I didn't look that way.

A newborn calf was laying next to the cow.  Dry and clean.  So it had born earlier that morning.   The calf is a heifer.




Donna was at church.  So I waited.  After the ear tag was made I decided to try to put the ear tag on the calf.   If I couldn't I would call Donna.   It was to easily put the ear tag on the calf as it didn't try to stand up and run away.

At the end of the day when I checked on the cows, the calf and her mother were now at the very west end of the pasture.  The calf is a female so it was already up and around and checking everything out.  The male calves tend to just lay the first day.

I have five cows left to calve.  Three of the five will be first time mothers.  The other two cows will probably calve in May as last year they had their calves in June.

No comments: