Friday, January 13, 2023

Weaning the steer calves

This afternoon I started to wean the two steer calves.  They were born last June and July.  I had planned for the weaning to start the end of this month; but while most of my cows are overweight, the calves' mothers are normal to thin.  So time to start weaning now.

It easier to start the weaning now because today it was time for another hay bale, and I had let the cows and calves into the corral for a little hay in the morning before I put out a large hay bale this afternoon.  Donna came over to help me by handling the gate as I herded the cows.  Initially I handled a gate as the cows and bulls wanted out of the corral to go to the hay bale when I approached the gate to come into the corral.  I made sure the calves didn't get out past the gate.  Then Donna handled the gate while I herded the calves into the south corral to be with the heifer calves.

Job done quickly.  Now let the calling for the mommas begin.
Steer calves the other day.

No comments: