Thursday, January 19, 2023

Hayne the bull and the mineral tub

Today I figured out who is responsible for pushing the cut tree logs around the pasture, and who pushed the salt feeder in the north pasture from its place behind two metal posts and over to the hayfield fence.   Haynes!

Today I had the Haynes and the cows in the main corral while I eventually hauled out another large hay bale for them into the middle pasture.  We had a little snow overnight and before I hauled the bale out I shoveled the snow off the backyard.  While I did that Haynes pushed over, and then around the corral, the tub with the mineral supplements the cows were licking.  I went and up-righted the tub and then went back to shoveling snow.  Haynes then knocked the tub over and pushed it around.   This time I waited a little, and for Haynes to walk away a little distance, while before up-righting the tub again.  After I left the corral Haynes knocked the tub over again and pushed it around.  This time I got a camera and took photos, then let him be.  It was pointless for me to up-right the tub until Haynes REALLY got tired of playing with the tub.  That was a long time.

The tub initially weighed 250 pounds.  It might be down to 230 pounds now due to the cows licking the mineral supplement.  Not easy - for me - to move around.  Haynes... no problem.  That must be why the large metal hay feeders end up moved - even with lots of hay still in them.

I also put out another large hay bale for the calves.   Their feeder sits in the same spot since their part of the corral is smaller.  Over the Winter the area becomes a bowl for the feeder to sit in.  That is because the calves poop as they eat.  The manure sits on the snow and then freezes.  Then several feet to about a yard around the feeder the ground becomes muck when melting occurs.  Muck that is hard for me to walk in.  Muck of water, manure, and spillover hay. Thankfully it doesn't make it inside the feeder.  Today I spent some time with a shovel clearing this area out from the feeder to the rim of frozen manure and snow.  It was some effort to do so.  Hopefully this not being such a mess will last a while.





No comments: