Friday, January 27, 2023

Muck around the calves' feeder

The weather is changing. It snowed overnight last night.  Temperature overnight and today was at or above freezing and the snow is wet.  The forecast predicts a cold front arriving starting Saturday and our overnight lows will be below zero.   The wet snow will turn to ice.  So I shoveled snow today around the backyard and off some of the driveway.  Too much to shovel in one day.  I shoveled snow off the hay bales outside the hayshed.  I still have 10 bales sitting outside the hayshed.  It will be nice when those bales are eaten up and gone.

I also shoveled the muck away from the calves' feeder.  I'm trying to not let it build up like before.  It looks like the feeder is sitting in a bowl, but that is because the higher area is due to the snow and ice.  The ground is level in this area.  The calves' body heat melts the snow and ice where they stand when eating.

No comments: