Monday, January 09, 2023

Bicycle tire problems

The last day of 2022 I had two flat tires on my bicycle.  In the morning when three and a half miles from home.  I patched my tube as it was a very small puncture. I didn't see anything in or on the tire.  Later in the afternoon on a 19 mile ride I got a flat three and a half miles from home on a different road.  Again a small puncture.  This time I checked and checked the bicycle tire in case the flat was caused by a small wire that came through and was in the tire.  I didn't find anything.  I rubbed and rubbed the area inside the tire.

No more flats.  But the tire now started to distort side to side in one spot.  Okay... but still rideable.   Every day I checked the tire.  After so many days it looked like the tire was wearing through in one spot.   Time for a new tire before I get another flat. 

I didn't have a spare tire and had to go to Walmart to buy one.  My bicycle is old and the rims are still 27 inches, not the 700 C tires bicycles have now.

Some older road bikes (mid 1980's and earlier) used 27-inch tires; these were used on most of the "10-speed" bikes that many of us grew up with. These are NOT the same as the 700C tires found on modern road bikes. Very few, if any, modern bikes are manufactured using the 27-inch tire size, but replacement tires, inner tubes, and wheels are still available for those older bikes.

27-inch tires come in common widths of 1-1/8 inch, 1-1/4 inch, and 1-3/8 inch for some older hybrid and cyclocross bikes.

27-inch and 700C tires are close enough in size that the inner tubes are compatible; i.e. you can use a 27-inch inner tube in a 700C tire, and vice-versa. However, you can NOT use a 27-inch tire on a 700C wheel, and vice-versa.

Walmart had one 27 inch tire although I had to look to find it at the back of the shelf.   Saturday I put the tire on my bicycle and rode Saturday and Sunday.  This afternoon when I rode, a half mile from home, my tire seemed to be rubbing against my brake.  I stopped and looked and saw the tire was starting to come off the rim.  I thought I could ride back home to fix it.  I didn't make it as the tube blew before I got home.

At home I got a new tube and put it and the tire back on the bicycle.  When I filled the tire with air the tire started to come off the rim again.  It turns out the tire had separated in one spot from the metal wire inside the tire that goes around the tire, and this is what holds the tire onto the rim.

I tried and tried different methods on making the tire stay on the rim.  Nothing worked.  I had to give up.  I took the tire back to Walmart and got my money back. The tire was defective.  I looked again and still no 27 inch tires.  I had an employee scan and look on his scanner as to when new tires would come to Walmart.  He said - maybe - January 27.

I went to Target.  Only 700C tires.  I went to the sporting goods store that also sells and repairs bicycles.  I only found 700C tires.  I asked an employee and was told they don't stock 27 inch tires.  They could order one for me, but this time of year, who knows when one would arrive.

If one has to order, I can do that using Amazon.   I just did.  The tires (I bought two) should arrive January 18.   Now I just have to survive with no bicycling available for me for nine days.  For me it will be hard to do so.

No comments: