Monday, October 03, 2022

Weaning calves and Mama

The calves are quieter now.  Still, there are times when they see their mothers in the middle pasture and the calves call out to them.



Anthony came this weekend and picked out the three steers he will buy.  I will keep four of the five heifers.  That leaves four steers and one heifer to take to the auction on Thursday.  

Since only five calves to take to the auction I think I can also fit Mama in the stock trailer.  Early this evening I saw Mama by herself in the middle pasture.  A good time to get her into the corral now instead of waiting until Wednesday to do so.  I wouldn't have to separate her from the others.  Since it is Mama, Donna doesn't want anything to do with her or be around her if I needed help to get Mama into the corral.  I went to the middle/north pasture gate.  Mama saw me and started to come over.   Then Panda, in the south pasture, saw Mama coming over to me.  Panda came running.  I thought Panda may catch up and pass Mama so I opened the gate and called for Mama to hurry up.  Mama started to move faster and got through the gate just before Panda could.  *whew*

I let Mama come in the main corral and put out a bale of hay for her to eat.  The calves are in the south corral.  No need for Mama's calf to stop weaning and drink from Mama again.



The rest of the cattle came to the middle/north pasture gate and mooed at Mama and me in the corral.  So I went out and gave them two pails of apples and also a quarter of a hay bale.  Then Mama saw what I did and wanted back out of the corral so she could join the other cattle.  No, Mama, you have plenty of hay here in the corral. 

I have had Mama longer than any other cow, and she is the oldest cow. And is the smartest cow.  She is my favorite cow.  I will miss her.

No comments: