Monday, April 11, 2022

Extended corral

Grass is greening up and starting to grow.   While the weather forecast for this week is for cold and snow, it is still time to make my extended corral to the corral to keep the cattle off the grass and allow for the grass to grow for now.   Since Donna was over on Saturday to help me band and tag the two new calves, she also helped me make the extended corral.  

I've learned that an electric fence protects my corral panels from being bent or moved by the cows.  While I put up the corral panels Donna put up the electric fence.  It was cold.  I put off tying the last four panels to metal posts as Donna's feet were getting really cold. She didn't want to get frostbite.  I helped her finish the electric fence.  We plugged in the electric fence. Was it working?  Neither Donna nor I wanted to touch the wire to check it out.  I doubled-checked - by looking - the wire to make sure it wasn't in contact with metal or anything else that would stop the circuit.  So we trusted the fence was working.

Later that day when I tied the last panels to the metal posts I accidently touched the electric wire.  Oh yes!  The wire was working.


No comments: