Thursday, April 14, 2022

Calf 8 - Little Beulah's

Another girl was born Wednesday.   Probably near 1:30 pm.  I had just gotten home from being uptown, and went out and checked for new calves.  Little Beulah had just licked her newborn calf clean and the calf was now standing and trying to find her mother's udder.  Around and around Little Beulah the calf went as the calf was also figuring out how to walk as she was trying to figure out how and where to drink.  The calf knew to raise her head and try to find something to drink from on her mother's body.   Come on little one.. move over there.  Over there!

It took a while but finally the calf found a nipple to suck on.   Success!

Hours later, after I had made an ear tag for the calf, Donna came over to help me as I tagged the calf's ear.

Tonight's low temperature is predicted to be 13 degrees.  It is 18 degrees right now.  Cold for a newborn calf.  I would like for Little Beulah and her calf to lay in the loafing shed.  I checked a few hours ago.  They were laying in the middle of the corral.  The calf was laying right between her mother and one of the replacement heifers.  So I didn't try to move the calf and Little Beulah as there was body heat for the calf.   I checked on them just now and they were still laying right next to one another in the same place.  The calf looked warm as the bodies of both cows were touching the calf on each side.  I let them be.




No comments: