Thursday, March 24, 2022

Still have ice

Looking at my recent photos you don't see much snow.  I do have ice in spots.   In my hayshed the ground is not level, and some areas collect water from snow melt.  It melted in January briefly then the temperatures got cold again.  The water froze in the hayshed.   Even though our temperatures have been warmer, and most of the snow melted, the ice hasn't melted in the hayshed. 

I've had water inside the hayshed past years.  So now I always place the hay bales on wooden pallets.  Often two pallets high.  As you can see the weight of the bales can press the pallets partially into the dirt when the ground was soft.  Then water.  Then ice.  And sometimes it can be hard to get the pallets out of the ground after I remove the hay bale.

After waiting a number of days for the ice to melt after I removed a hay bale, I gave up and today I used an iron bar to chip and break the ice.  Then using the iron bar I pried the pallet out of the ice and ground.


No comments: