Sunday, March 20, 2022

Calf 3 - Panda's

This morning Panda had her calf.   Another black bull calf.  Third in a row this year.

Donna called me before 8 am telling me I should go out and check for newborn calves as the weather was bad.  I looked outside.  No it wasn't.  Still I went out and check for newborn calves. Later Donna told me when she called it was snowing and the wind was blowing at her place a few miles from my place.  It never snowed or the wind blowed at my place.

The calf had most likely been born less than an hour earlier.  The calf had been licked and cleaned off but his fur was still wet.  He was standing and trying to figure out how to drink milk from his mother.  His scrotum was large so I could tell he was a boy just looking at him when he stood.  I didn't have to get close to tell.

Hours later when Donna and I ear tagged and banded him his fur was dry.  He looked bigger than when I first saw him.  Guess the dried fur made him look bigger.

Since it was just me and not Curtis also helping I had to climb into the pickup bed and sit on the calf while holding his back legs so he wouldn't kick Donna when she was banding him.  The banding and tagging went quick and we were done.





No comments: