Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Fruit trees and flowering

A cold Spring.  But some of my fruit trees are flowering now.

Usually the first of my fruit trees to flower is my apricot tree.  Not this year.



A few blossoms on one of my cherry trees.   These trees are struggling to stay alive.  I'm not sure why they have been struggling, but they are still hanging on.



This is my serviceberry bush.  (In the Midwest we called them Juneberry bushes/trees.)  The bush is dong well and is flowering well also.   I have the small fence around the bush to try to keep the birds from the berries.  Otherwise I don't get any berries.  The same reason I have a fence around the cherry trees.



Why I really noticed the flowering of the trees recently is my one pear tree.  It looks like this will be another year of lots of pears.



My other pear tree is also struggling to stay alive.  So no flowers on this pear tree.  I've learned not to "go light" when buying fruit trees.  The large flowering pear tree I bought from a nursery and paid more.  All the struggling trees I bought at a Walmart - or other store - nursery at a cheaper price.   They don't die, but after some years they begin to struggle.



In the previous photo background that is one of my apple trees.  No blossoms yet.  Not sure if this will be an "off" year.  I pruned the apple trees but that was during this past Winter and that usually doesn't stop the trees from blossoming the same year.

No comments: